The Watch and Report Program is meant to increase identification and deterrence of unlawful professional excavation activities through use of JULIE members’ staffs. An unlawful act happens when a professional excavator fails to call JULIE, Inc. before beginning an excavation project, which may cause unnecessary bodily harm to a person(s) and/or damage to underground facilities.
The following is an outline of the suggested “Watch and Report” model incentive plan that can be used for an employee of any JULIE member:
Watch and Report Program Process:
- Identify Safety Hazard – Identify a professional excavator (not homeowners) who is
digging without proper utility flags or markings.
- Report – Contact your JULIE Member Coordinator and report your findings, i.e.,
excavation location site and excavating company name. Do NOT confront the
excavator on your own
- “Stop Work” Action – Your JULIE Member Coordinator will contact your utility’s
damage prevention field staff or local law enforcement, who will then confront the
excavator to stop their work until they obtain a locate request.
- Positive Result – The action taken by the utility damage prevention department or local
Law Enforcement compels the excavator to call JULIE for the excavation project
identified and reported and/or future projects.
- Incentive Reward Eligibility – For each “no call, no locate” excavation project that you
successfully report which results in changed behavior by the professional excavator,
you will receive one of the following incentive rewards: Instant Lottery ticket, gift card, cash reward or time off.