State law requires the person actually doing the digging to contact JULIE with the following information at least two business days (excluding weekends and holidays) before the start of the project.
Locate requests received after 4 p.m. are processed as if received at 8 a.m. the next business day. If you want to start your project on a weekend, remember to contact JULIE before 4 p.m. on Wednesday. For your convenience, download a Locate Request Form outlining all the information you will need to complete your request. You may also find our Homeowner’s Guide useful to the process.
Checklist for a Locate Request
- Your name, address, and a phone number at which you can be reached. An email address and a fax number, if available
- The location where the excavation will take place, including county, city or unincorporated township, section and quarter section numbers if available, address, cross street (within 1/4 mile), subdivision name, etc.
- Start date and time of planned excavation
- Type and extent of excavation involved
- Whether the dig area has been outlined with white paint, flags or stakes
You will be provided with a Dig Number that identifies specific information about your locate request.
It is important that you retain this number as proof of your contact with JULIE. You will need to refer to your dig number if it becomes necessary for you to call JULIE for a second request, refresh or remark at your excavation site. Call center agents are available 24/7 to assist with any questions.