APRIL IS SAFE DIGGING MONTH
During National Safe Digging Month in April, we work with our partners to launch a statewide public safety and education campaign to increase awareness about the importance of contacting JULIE before any outdoor projects. The goal of this “Call 8-1-1” initiative is to reduce the risk of striking underground utility lines and potentially causing environmental or property damage, costly delays or personal injury.
Underground utility lines are unintentionally damaged at the rate of once per minute. Homeowners and professional excavators who fail to notify JULIE or other state one-call centers before digging cause approximately 40 percent of all damages, making it the top cause of these dangerous and costly incidents. This statistic jumps to 60 percent for landscaping and fence-building projects.
We need your assistance to reach residents in your community. Following is a list of potential opportunities for your community to show support of Illinois Safe Digging Month:
- Include an article about the importance of notifying JULIE in your community newsletter.
- Submit a news release to the editor of your local newspaper or other publication.
- Secure a proclamation for Safe Digging Month from the Mayor or Village President.
- Post a “Call JULIE Before You Dig” safety message and link to JULIE on your website or communicate the message via social media.
- Distribute education materials at internal meetings, safety forums, community events or open houses. For a list of free materials and ordering information for an upcoming event, please visit www.illinois1call.com.
- Provide landscape companies, nurseries, home improvement and rental stores and other local businesses with information about the safety campaign
- Contact a JULIE Damage Prevention Manager to speak at an upcoming safety event or to set up a tabletop display
- Deliver a brief speech about the importance of damage prevention at an Earth Day or Arbor Day event
- Add a line, “Call JULIE Before You Dig. Dial 8-1-1.” to monthly billing statements
- Promote JULIE and 8-1-1 near high traffic areas, including municipal message boards and signs.
JULIE’s Public Relations Department sends out Between the Lines, a contractor E-newsletter, several times per year.
If you are a contractor and would like to receive a copy of this E-newsletter, please complete the form below:
JULIE MEMBER NEWSLETTER
The Public Relations Department has an ongoing effort to keep its members informed. JULIE emails a member E-newsletter “Breaking New Ground” several times a year. Issues are sent to all JULIE Member Coordinators/Alternate Coordinators who have given email addresses.